Tuesday, April 21, 2020

At What Price...

This might seem like one of my diatribe posts...but it is not.

Life circumstances enforced by the Covid-19 lockdown have brought into perspective various issues associated with what is important and what is not important, what we value and what we don't value, what we are willing to sacrifice and what we are not.

A month ago in a post, I made some strong statements about what society could and could not do as regards making the saving of lives at all costs its goal. I still feel that way. However, what one feels about society in general and what one does with one's own life can often be very different. And in my case, I am not ashamed at all to admit to being quite Machiavellian when it comes to my own well-being.

What we're talking about here is COGNAC. Or rather the lack thereof. Cognac is a type of brandy (a distilled spirit made from wine) that comes from a particular region of France. I am quite partial to it and it is my drink of choice for sipping in the evening as I write. In normal times, I can go to a big box chain, Total Wine, and get a very nice VSOP Cognac for what I feel is a very reasonable price. As a bit of education, there are regulated levels of quality for this region. They being VS, VSOP and XO. I would normally never buy XO because I don't think the quality versus price differential merits the additional cost. On the other hand, I can clearly taste the difference between VS and VSOP and will pay up for that.

However, our dear Governor has decided that liquor stores are not essential and closed them. That means I no longer have access to that resource. We can buy alcohol in grocery stores but they don't carry Cognac as a rule. But Wife went to Costco where she found an XO Cognac which I would normally deem too expensive. 

My inventory has not gotten low enough yet but I think I will be parroting or paraphrasing Governor Cuomo of New York. "What cost can one put on one's taste buds. There is none. A person who needs Cognac should be fulfilled. Regardless of the cost."

XO here we come.

4 comments:

alexis said...

LOL. My first instinct was buy that cognac NOW - what if cognac is the next toilet paper?? On a separate note - OH read this before me and he was already on the lookout for you for cheap, good cognac.

Rob said...

Smuggling Mexican cognac over the border?

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Hee, hee! You discover your true priorities during a crisis.

Tee said...

It amazes me how different the rules are from state to state. Liquor stores were deemed essential in Minnesota. Maybe they felt sorry for us due to the climate here!