Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Ghana Trip Four - Lessons In Optimizing Longer-Term Travel Planning and Acclimatization

I am into day three of this my fourth trip to Ghana in 2019. It has become clear to Wife and I that this venture has the potentail to have legs...by that I mean that it can achieve the types of objectives we theorized when we started the venture. That has led to us establishing a schedule for continuing the work in 2020. Which in turn has me (in particular) working on how to make the travel, work and living experience here as good as possible.

Of course 'as good as possible' is a relative term and leads to the process of optimization...understanding that a number of the things one wants to achieve might be contradictory. For example, I may desire the shortest of flight time each trip. I might also want the lowest airfare. Most likely I cannot get both. I most likely have to make a tradeoff between time and price. Similarly I might want to spend as little time as possible with non-productive time when on site but also want to avoid stressing myself too much from fatigue and energy drain. Again, it is unlikely I can do both.

This trip I opted for less flight time and less non-productive time enroute. That turned out to be a less than optimum choice as I have been more tired and less organized hitting the ground working. On the plus side, I am on my third lodging option which has turned out to be a winner in terms of its location, reasonable access to locales I usually want to go to, quiet and overall quality of the space.

So as I look forward, I will be seeking an optimum solution that allows me to function reasonably well at a cost I can afford.

3 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

As always, you are reflective about your choices. Sounds like the project is making progress.

alexis said...

it's got legs, but does it know how to use them?

de-I said...

LOL Alexis. I have this image of a vaudville character trying to walk with its legs all a kimbo.