Sunday, July 15, 2018

What To Do With Bags...Many Bags...of Chile

It started out rather innocuously enough. Wife and I decided we needed to clean out the freezer. We have this tendency to enthusiastically process and freeze food (at least I do) and then equally enthusiastically forget about them. This leads to the amassing of many items that in time become more the source material for an archeologist than for a cook.

I did remember that I had some dried red chile from last season before we started. I use the red chile to make a number of condiments, condiments that I was out of. My age addled memory seemed to remember I had about three bags, not enough to make much of my condiments. So I went to the store and bought a bag of chile pods. Bad decision.

Umm
Just a few more bags than anticipated 😟
The first step of this process is to get the seeds out of the pods
This is not an easy process. It took me a good three hours to do this

Next we rehydrate the chiles by putting them in boiling water and letting them sit
Then I use the immersion blender to start breaking them down
The entire mass is then put through a sieve to get rid of the skin and any residual seeds
This is another long, tortuous process which coincidentally results in the spraying of chile bombs all over the kitchen as my desire to get the freaking job done drives more frantic work activity.
But finally, perfectly smooth, chile paste
By now the day is over, plus I have a crap load of this paste, more than I need for my condiments so the decision is to freeze it.

Producing Harissa and Sambal
Fast forward to this weekend
It is time to actually make the condiments
Out comes one of containers of chile paste
Let us start with...

HARISSA
Harissa is chile based condiment from North Africa
I have bought prepared versions but do not like them as much as the version I make 
I love this stuff. I use it on sandwiches and with eggs. It is good as an addition to soups and stews or with braised meats 

Start by toasting cumin and coriander seeds and then grind them to a powder


Next pound garlic with salt to a paste


Saute the garlic paste in olive oil
Add chile paste and the spice powder
Cook for five minutes

SAMBAL
This is a ubiquitous condiment found all over Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore
If you go online and search recipes, you will find there are hundreds of versions. This tells me I can be as creative as I like with mine. I use Sambal mostly for cooking in stir fries and especially with fried rice but also with any Asian dish I make as a condiment

First I get some Candlenuts. These were hand imported from Malaysia. They are to add texture (I think)
Next I make a paste of Southeast Asian aromatics
From to top and going clockwise there is tumeric, galangal, garlic, lemon grass and ginger
I freeze these roots and then just use a microplane grater when I need some

Next ingredient is Balacan
Belacan is a super funky shrimp paste from Malaysia (I brought two of them back from my first trip)
This stuff is intense. At 4 Ringgits or $1, I think I have a lifetime supply
Saute the belacan and the flavor paste

Add chile paste along with salt, sugar, tamarind and fish sauce to taste
In my case, my home grown chiles are very fruity and citrus flavored so I didn't add any tamarind
Voila (or the Malay equivalent)

I put my finished condiments in very small freezer containers to have through the year
Now with two more containers of basic chile paste I need to think about some other condiments to make. I probably should make some New Mexican Red Chile Sauce at least

3 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

My mother keeps a detailed, up-to-date written inventory of her freezer. Now I understand why.

That's a daunting pile of chiles.

de-I said...

RMG - I have frequently done the same as your Mom...except that after about 17 days I fail to maintain it. After about 3 attempts like that I gave it up.

alexis said...

you need a smaller fridge. Self-enforcing!