Monday, February 6, 2017

Being The Cheshire Cat

Do you remember the scene from Alice in Wonderland? The one where the Cheshire Cat is talking to Alice and starts disappearing until all that is left is his smile? I am going through something like that.

Since returning from our Fall trip to Europe, I've been on a significant weight loss trend. I have not been dieting per se. I found that my appetite had decreased so I just started eating less at each meal. And I made a conscious decision to drink less. I don't drink less frequently but drink less quantity with each drink.

The result has been a slow gradual weight loss. On Saturday, I got on the scale and was greeted with landmark number, 174. Not 174.5. Not 175.1. But a bona fide 174.0. Not even when we were doing the radical calorie counting a few years ago did I get to this weight. Haven't seen it for 40+ years.

Now just to put things into context, for years...I mean YEARS...my doctors have universally, and in very deep serious tones, said..."You need to get rid of that belly. That fat around your organs is deadly. You are going to die like right now. In fact I'm surprised you didn't die yesterday. Lose the gut!" To which I've usually responded by telling them that my two grandfathers and my father all lived to their 90's with very big guts thank you very much.

Nonetheless, I am losing weight...everywhere except from my gut! So now I have less of everything except the belly. I am totally convinced that, like the Cheshire Cat, in not too long all of me will be disappearing except my belly which will still be there smiling at the doctors as they lecture it.

4 comments:

alexis said...

The human body is mysterious!!! I didn't realize it'd been 40yrs. That's quite something!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

And they will write children's books about your mysterious, non-disappearing gut...

But seriously, congratulations are in order!

JRR said...

from Cheshire Smile to ...............
a Roquefort Roll?
is that too cheesy?

Agent W and the Derf said...


Glad you are seeing some weight loss as you had hoped! Hmmm...now about that Cheshire "gut"! :) :) :)