The arrival of the first wonderful, flavorful, juicy tomatoes send me to what I have determined by much experimentation is my all time favorite way of presenting the goodness of tomatoes.
THE OPEN FACE GRATINEED TOMATO SANDWICH
The rules for this sandwich are thus:
- Good Bread - In the example above I'm using Wife's homemade, not sweet whole wheat bread. I also frequently use various types of rye bread
- Toast the bread - to help inhibit the over soaking of tomato juice into the bread
- A Layer of Mayo - There is something about the combination of tomatoes, bread and mayo that is etherial
- A Layer of a Complimentary Flavor - I frequently use ham, but in one of the examples above I used hummus and roasted peppers. These must be secondary to the tomatoes! The Tomatoes are the star
- Big Slices of Tomatoes Just Minutes from the Garden - I will have as many tomatoes by volume as all the other ingredients combined.
- A Very Thin Layer of Cheese - Any good melting cheese will do There is Compte on the ham one and Havarti on the veggie one.
- Melt Cheese via Broiler - It goes in the toaster oven for just a minute or two just so the cheese melts and starts to bubble