Saturday, September 21, 2013

Preparing For The Regatta

I'm sure you have all been watching breathlessly at the America's Cup races as they have unfolded over the last few months.  Gad even cricket test matches take less time. 

I have never taken Wife to be a nautical type person but evidently there must be some hidden sea faring tradition on the Northern Plains because she told me today that she was going to be gone most of the day GARAGE SAILING!

I'm not terribly familiar with sailing but I do know there are all kinds of competitions from small craft as they have in the Olympics to long range trans-oceanic races.  But for the life of me, I never heard of GARAGE SAILING.  I mean just the engineering and construction required to transform a perfectly serviceable garage to a water worthy craft has to be daunting.  Or maybe they just take the wood from old garages and use it to make a boat?  What kind of rigging and crew would you need to sail your garage boat?  Was Wife the ship master or was she just crewing this event with a bunch of Midwestern buddies?

Naturally I peppered her with these questions.  First I got this quizzical look.  Then I got the sigh.  (I get lots of these 'sighs'.  Not sure quite why).  "Its GARAGE SALE-ing for cripes sake."

"Oh."

Suppose that explains why I never heard of it.  Still wonder how you'd get one of those garages to float and what rigging you would use.

2 comments:

terri said...

Yes, this is a common mid-western phenomenon, also known as yard-sailing and rummage-sailing. One can be a garage-sailor without a crew, but it is much more fun when you've at least got a first mate. Common garage-sailing tactics involve visiting as many garages as possible within a defined area, finding items marked with a specific dollar value, and asking, "Would you take a quarter for this?"

Hope Wife did well in her sailing adventures!

Agent W said...

Hope Wife found some treasures on her "sailing" adventure!!