"Why would one care?", you ask.
It dates back to Wife and my eating regime which has evolved over recent years whereby we eat two meals a day. We eat breakfast. And we eat a large meal mid-afternoon between 2:30 and 3:30. This large meal is usually what one would serve for dinner. What has gone by the wayside is lunch along with things like sandwiches and salads. We do eat a large salad on Saturday for our big meal.
A couple of weeks ago, I suddenly had a craving. I wanted a Bologna Sandwich. I floated the idea that we would have this as our 'big' meal on Sunday. And since we were 'just' having a sandwich, if we ate on the early side, we could make popcorn later. Inspired.
Come today, it was time for the meal. But, I was anguished. Our big meal is when I have my one glass of wine (under the new tyranny of the gout regime). What wine to serve with a Bologna Sandwich. I decided that Bologna (which is named for an Italian city), is like Mortadella, also Italian, that an Italian wine would be appropriate. As I have quite a few Barolo in stock, I chose one of those. Barolo is a pretty heavy duty wine, but, as the great Michelin stared chef, Joel Robuchon, said when ask how he paired wine with what he was eating said, "I just drink what I like." So if I want Barolo with Bologna Sandwich, that's what we're having.
Classy, if I say so myself (those pickles are homemade BTW)
In other de-I World Headquarters News...
The Annual Failure of The Peach Pruning Harvest has begun
Despite all my efforts, despite the efforts of the California illegal immigrant labor, there are as many freaking peaches as usual.
I watched this tree all during its early phases and was convinced that finally this year I had finally succeeded in reducing the number of peaches to a reasonable amount. I am convinced their are supernatural peach pixies that around the time of harvest cast spells which double or triple the number of peaches on the tree.
I will admit that they exceptionally good this season
And while I may suck at restraining peaches from growing I EXCEL with Quinces.
Or I should say Quince.
Yes, this is our annual Quince. This is our second year of growing a single, solitary Quince.
If you are not familiar with Quince, it takes a lot of preparation to get something edible. One Quince of this size will yield about three tablespoons Quince puree. We are giving lottery slots out to see who gets to harvest the Quince.





1 comment:
The peaches, as always, look amazing.
A friend told me that one year his cherry tree produced a single cherry. He carefully harvested it and he, his wife, and their children each consumed one-quarter of a cherry.
Post a Comment