Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Ghana - A Whirlwind of Activity - Then A Wall

 As the Theodora Project gets more and more established, each of the trips here becomes busier and busier with more things we are needing to establish and put in place to ensure a viable on-going enterprise. 

We recently hired a full-time manager with virtual assistant experience to give our team the day-to-day guidance they need to keep learning and growing. She just started four weeks ago. This is the first time I've had a chance to work with her in-person. There is a ton of things we are needing to discuss and create timelines for dealing with. 

There has also been a variety of learning I have wanted to do with the group as a whole to continue their professional growth.

Then there's the Board of my local partner NGO. Up until now they have been mostly passive (with the exception of one person). But now that we have the makings of a viable activity and business, members are getting a lot more engaged.

So the trip already was scheduled to be very busy. Things got more complicated. Just before I arrived, one of the ladies had to go to the hospital dealing with a variety of issues. She was only going to be available to us virtually. Then, as she got better, another one had issues and was briefly hospitalized. Yikes! So we have been doing this tap dance to keep the group learning activities moving. 

On top of all this, there has been an on-going drama related to the pitch deck (mentioned earlier this month) we need to produce for our financing search. We'd had the good fortune to find some people who wanted to develop skill in this area and were volunteering their time. They were doing a great, great job. They opened our eyes to presenting our story in a much more dynamic way. Until...Until they just disappeared. Stopped responding to any communication at all. 

Now I am faced with a choice. Do I look for someone else to finish the project? That would take a lot of time to find, get someone up to speed, wait for them to do the work. We are already behind my desired timeline. The other option is for me to do it. But when? I decided to make last Saturday my day to get it done. It was a much bigger task then I thought. I worked from the morning through midnight (with breaks) but I got it done. 

But at a price.

I couldn't sleep that night. My whole body was aching. My head ached. Pain killer had not effect. Sunday I was a basket case. I rested all day Monday and Tuesday as well. Today, I am feeling much better. But I am definitely going to take it easier until I go home on Saturday.


2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I've been thinking lately about how work affects my body and health and how I'd like to change that, but this is a whole new level! Was the end project worth it?

alexis said...

at this point we just need to get the dang thing done