Monday, October 21, 2019

Oh To Be Able To Grow!

This whole year with the great Ghana adventure and all that have spun off from it is a miracle in the exercise of personal growth. I have a hard time looking back at this time last year and even imaging all that has taken place.

It isn't the tangible things though those have been substantial. It is personal growth. Just today I got the first cut of our promotional video from our folks in Ghana. It is very rough and we are going to have to redo a lot of it. But that in and of itself is going to be a phenomenal opportunity for growth - my growth, the growth of the women we are working with, the growth of our video people - and just to be able to perceive this - to not look at it as a frustration - as an "oh God we're going to have to do all this extra work" - but to see it as the tremendous opportunity to grow - is such a blessing.

I know I have been using that word a lot in recent posts - Blessing - but you know, that is the state that I am in these days - feeling very blessed.

But back to the theme of this post (Hey it's late and I'm tired. I can ramble a bit!). I cannot think of a more wonderful thing than to be in one's 72nd year and be in a position where one feels he is growing prodigiously. We associate our aging years as a time of atrophy, a time when you have done all you were going to be capable of doing, a time to sit around and tell stories of one's past. To me, that vision sounded like hell on earth. So to be in this position where I feel I am growing, learning, expanding, improving is like being in paradise.

I make no preachings to others. All have their own road to hew. I am just grateful and thankful that I am on this road.

4 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Many of my older friends are busy learning new hobbies, traveling, going to political marches. Now you add developing a nonprofit and learning all kinds of new things. You are all good role models for me!

alexis said...

indeed the baby boomers will just keep hanging on, sucking up resources... No worries ;)

de-I said...

Slurp, Slurp, Slurp

Mmmmmmmm

Resources

Tee said...

Through all of the years I've been reading your writings, you have never been one to sit back and let life pass you by. And you've been very proactive about not allowing your life to settle into a sedentary state. I think (I hope) my life moves on a similar course. I think it will. Sometimes I look at who I am now, the things I do, what's important to me today, and realize I could never have pictured this person thirty years ago.