Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Just Be Thankful Anything Works!

It's hard to go by a day when we aren't bombarded by information that has us feeling that our world is being held together by the most fragile of string. It makes no difference whether it is how people are dealing with Greece, or the acts of violence, or the weather/drought/floods, healthcare, diplomacy, whatever. One looks at how all the actors in the process are dealing with things and it is enough to have you run into a corner, get in the fetal position, and just pray that you'll make through to tomorrow.

Unless.

Unless one has a bit more of a historical perspective.

I've been doing intense reading lately on the time period of the 15th through the 18th century (1400's through the 1700's). (My interest was piqued because of our visit to Malta and my being aghast at the Knights of St. John). And we're planning some more trips so I've been doing other reading on countries we're visiting as well.) When you read in depth about what was going on and you go beyond the superficial names and dates history, you get a different perspective. For every great date or event, there is a series of bumbling moves by leaders of varying degrees of competency. THIS IS UNIVERSAL! This is the norm.

Readers, it is not like the world has been run by these incredibly capable people that float above the storms of events. No, the whole history of the world is a bunch of bumbling, arguing, petty, vengeful, small sighted, occasionally good intentioned, and very rarely competent people just barely keeping things together.

So what does that mean? It means chill. Don't get all wigged out about what isn't getting done or the incompetency of various people, or the illogical decisions that are being made. THIS IS NORMAL.

Be thankful anything works at all. 

3 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

An excellent point, de-I! I've been listening to a long series of podcasts on the history of England, following earlier podcasts on the history of Rome. There are TONS of bumbling leaders in both countries. After Rome, I feel astoundingly lucky to simply live in a country that is not continually invaded or torn apart by civil war.

Also, I thought that your post title also fit my recent post bewailing all of my broken technological toys :)

alexis said...

lol. I've definitely taken that lesson to heart and I appreciate I don't have to read through tombs of dry non-fiction to learn it. So my thanks to that.

Bernice said...


That is a great post. I, too, plan to just chill out. Life is so much more enjoyable that way.